Today the last game is being played at the House that Ruth built. Frank and I have been watching ESPN all day seeing all of the great highlights of Yankee history that has happened in the last 85 years. When I asked Frank what his favorite Yankee memory was the first thing he mentioned was the George Brett pinetar incident. He was there that day with his father, they had season tickets back then. They got season tickets for about 12 or 13 years and always sat in the same seats in the main reserve - Section 16, Row C, Seats 2 and 3 (it's behind third base, lower level). One of Frank's other favorite memories was opening day in 2003. He was there with his father when Matsui hit his grand slam (it was his first time playing with the Yanks).
My first time at Yankee Stadium was in 2001 seeing the Yanks playing the Mariners. I had surprised Frank with tickets because he hadn't been at all that year and the game really sucked! By the 7th inning the Yanks were loosing 10-2 and Frank, who has never left a game before it was over, had us leave. I will never forget walking into the stadium and seeing the field for the first time. It truly was a spiritual experience. To be in the stadium and feel the aura that surrounds that place is like feeling the Holy Ghost. The next year I discovered my love for Jorge Posada! EVERY home game I went to that year Jorge hit a home run!! I use the number 20 in my email address in honor of Jorge, in case you didn't know that little tid bit.
Our last game was August 4, 2007 - the day A-Rod hit his 500th home run. While I'm sad to know that the Yankee Stadium I know will no longer stand after this year I am excited to be able to introduce our son to the new Yankee Stadium. Frank and I hope to get to see it next year, but regardless of when we see it, Frank will be there for the first time with his son just like at the current stadium his first time there was with his father.
"I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."
- Joe DiMaggio




1 comments:
That gave me chills. My Frank is a Met fan, but even he is sad that it's not going to be there anymore. It's such an amazing landmark.
Post a Comment